Softball player, 16, dies after suffering 95 per cent burns when she threw petrol over bonfire over a year ago

0
53


A TEENAGE softball player who suffered third-degree burns across 95 per cent of her body after a horror bonfire accident has died in hospital.

Layne Chesney, 16, died of organ failure on Friday in Fort Pierce, Florida more than a year after she was scorched by the flames.

Facebook

Layne died after suffering multiple injections after burning 95 per cent of her body in a bonfire accident[/caption]

Facebook

The brave teenager survived for more than a year despite doctors saying she would not live through her first night[/caption]

On New Year’s Eve 2017, the then-14-year-old was at a friend’s house when she was engulfed by the inferno when she threw gasoline on a bonfire – not realising the dangers involved.

The brave teen was given a one per cent chance of surviving her first night before enduring multiple hospitalisations and battling injections.

She succumbed to her injuries with her mother and grandmother by her side.

Following her passing, her mum Leigh wrote an emotional tribute on Facebook.

She wrote: “Layne was called home today by our creator. She fought a hard battle right until the end- never wanting to quit- because quitting was not in her nature.

“We are heart broken, but remain always grateful that she was a part of our lives and world- we just wish it had been for a lot longer with us here on Earth.”

I’m just proud to have been her mom


Layne's mother Leigh

Despite being given slim hope of surviving her first night in hospital, the keen-softball player battled for more than a year to stay alive.

Layne told the Treasure Coast Palm in December that she has received support and well wishes from fellow burn victims and other youngsters from across the country.

She said: I’m very, very, very grateful for all the prayers and cards that people send me.

“I don’t know any of them, but they still send me cards and encourage me and they keep me going.”

The teen schoolgirl was initially treated at Kendall Regional Medical Center in Miami.


But her family noticed her struggling emotionally and physically earlier this year.

She was transferred to Shriners Hospitals for Children in Galveston, Texas which specialises in burn victims on January 18.

Her family confirmed that her organs finally failed this week after multiple infections.

Mum Leigh said: “I’m just proud to have been her mom.

“I hope she will give me the strength to learn how to live without her.”

Facebook

Her mother Leigh paid tribute to her daughter in a heartbreaking Facebook post[/caption]

Facebook

The keen-softball player was 14 when she threw gasoline on a bonfire on New Year’s Eve 2017[/caption]


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours


 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here