Gran claims her house was gutted by a fire that started in her Hotpoint tumble dryer

Gran claims her house was gutted by a fire that started in her Hotpoint tumble dryer


A GRAN claims her three-bed house was gutted by a fire that started in her tumble dryer.

Tracy Bonsor, 60, said the blaze began in her Hotpoint Aquarius dryer a few minutes after she put a pair of jeans in.

Tracy Bosor, 60, says her house was gutted by a fire that started in her tumble dryer
Tracy Bosor, 60, says her house was gutted by a fire that started in her tumble dryer
Ian Whittaker – The Sun

Hotpoint has fixed 1.5million machines over fire fears. But mum-of-five Tracy, of Orpington, Kent, was told hers was safe.

She said: “It’s disgusting. You can’t put a price on people’s lives. This needs to stop.”

Tracy was rushed to hospital with smoke inhalation after the blaze.

She blasted: “I was terrified when it happened. I just remember seeing thick black smoke and realising and I had to get out there and then.

“I was in floods of tears as the house went up. I just felt so helpless watching everything I owned burn.

“If I hadn’t got out within two minutes I would have died because the smoke would have knocked me out. It could have killed me.

“I haven’t been able to sleep at night since. I can’t get rid of the smell of fire – and I have no idea how to start rebuilding my life.”

The gran-of-eight added: “I knew about all the Hotpoint fires before I bought the tumble dryer, but I thought they’d all been fixed and they were safe.


“I even said to the men who delivered it, ‘it’s not one of them that’s going to catch fire is it?’ And of course they said no.”

Tracy and daughter Brandi, 19, are now staying in a Premier Inn while landlords Clarion Housing try to repair the house.

Hotpoint owner Whirlpool said it would be “inappropriate” to comment or speculate while investigations continue.

Tracy was drying a pair of jeans when she spotted thick smoke billowing out the back of the Hotpoint Aquarius
Ian Whittaker – The Sun

Tracy was drying a pair of jeans when she spotted thick smoke billowing out the back of the Hotpoint Aquarius[/caption]

The gran of eight opened the door and fled seconds before the Hotpoint-branded machine exploded
Ian Whittaker – The Sun

The gran of eight opened the door and fled seconds before the Hotpoint-branded machine exploded[/caption]

The Hotpoint Aquarius tumble drier set fire to her kitchen and spread to the rest of home
Ian Whittaker – The Sun

The Hotpoint Aquarius tumble drier set fire to her kitchen and spread to the rest of home[/caption]

Mum-of-five Tracy has lost everything in the blaze and is now living in a hotel
Ian Whittaker – The Sun

Mum-of-five Tracy has lost everything in the blaze and is now living in a hotel[/caption]

'I have no idea how to start rebuilding my life', the 60-year-old says
Ian Whittaker – The Sun

‘I have no idea how to start rebuilding my life’, the 60-year-old says[/caption]

Tracy, of Orpington, Kent, had been told the Hotpoint machine was safe
Tracy, of Orpington, Kent, had been told the Hotpoint machine was safe
Ian Whittaker – The Sun
A Hotpoint Aquarius tumble dryer like the one Tracy had installed
A Hotpoint Aquarius tumble dryer like the one Tracy had installed

//players.brightcove.net/5067014667001/default_default/index.min.js

  • GOT a news story? RING us on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL exclusive@the-sun.co.uk
CATEGORIES
TAGS
Share This

COMMENTS

Wordpress (0)