THE shortlist for this year’s Golden Boy award has been announced.
Given out to the brightest young talent in Europe of the past year, the gong has been won in the past by Lionel Messi, Sergio Aguero, Paul Pogba and Raheem Sterling.
Golden Boy award 2019: Who is on the shortlist this year?
LAST year’s award was handed out to Matthijs de Ligt after his superb season for Ajax.
Now at Juventus, the Dutchman is shortlisted again but has serious competition from the likes of Ansu Fati, Jadon Sancho and Mason Mount.
All nominees must be under the age of 21 and play in a European nation’s top tier
Here’s the 20-man shortlist for 2019’s award:
- Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus, Holland)
- Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich, Canada)
- Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan, Italy)
- Ansu Fati (Barcelona, Spain)
- Philip Foden (Man City, England)
- Matteo Guendouzi (Arsenal, France)
- Erling Haland (RB Salzburg, Norway)
- Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen, Germany)
- Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid, Portugal)
- Dejan Joveljic (Eintracht Frankfurt, Serbia)
- Moise Kean (Everton, Italy)
- Kang-in Lee (Valencia, South Korea)
- Andrij Oleksijovyc (Valladolid, Ukraine)
- Danyell Malen (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands)
- Mason Mount (Chelsea, England)
- Rodrygo (Real Madrid, Brazil)
- Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund, England)
- Ferran Torres (Valencia, Spain)
- Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid, Brazil)
- Nicolò Zaniolo (Roma, Italy)
MOST READ IN SPORT
When is the winner announced?
ORIGINALLY a shortlist of 40 players was announced by Fifa back in September.
That has now been cut in half and the overwhelming favourite to lift the prize is Atletico Madrid’s Joao Felix.
The winner will be announced on Monday, December 16.