An 11-year-old girl has died after an allergic reaction to a milk-based toothpaste.
Denise Saldate, from West Covina in California, was brushing her teeth with her 15-year-old sister when she ran out of the bathroom crying and told her mum she couldn’t breathe.
Her mum Monique Altamirano said her daughter’s lips were blue and claims the new prescription toothpaste she was given for white spots on her teeth had cut off her oxygen.
Monique phoned for an ambulance and gave her little girl chest compressions but sadly Denise died that night.
Two weeks after Denise’s death on April 6, Monique and Denise’s dad Jose Saldate have said they want to raise awareness of what happened.
Speaking of the tragic day her daughter died, Monique told Yahoo News: “She said she couldn’t breathe and her lips were blue.
“The toothpaste was all over her teeth and gums and it cut off her oxygen.”
She added: “We can’t bring Denise back but we can help others in her name.”
Denise was diagnosed with a milk allergy when she was one, it is reported.
Her parents were given EpiPens and always carefully read food labels and worked with her school to make sure her lunches were safe.
The family had never spotted milk as an ingredient in toothpaste and did not see warnings printed on the tube that it contained Recaldent, a milk-derived protein, according to Yahoo.
A fundraising page set up to raise funds for her funeral says: “Denise Alyna Saldate was such a loving daughter, sister, cousin, niece, and friend with such an amazing personality.
“She could light up a room and make you smile even when you’re down.
“Through all of her struggles with allergies she always remained so happy.”
Memorial services will be held on April 26 and 27, and people have been asked to wear bright colours to celebrate Denise’s “bright personality”.
The gofundme page has already raised $17,825. To donate, click here.